The committee deals in particular with the following policy areas:
- General economic policy
- Trade; industry; competition policy
- Foreign trade policy
- Technology and innovation policy
- Information and communication technology
- Postal services
- Small businesses; trades and crafts; the service sector; the professions; vocational training
- Energy policy; heating and energy efficiency; electricity generation and grids
- EU Internal Market
- Development policy.
The Committee on Economic Affairs is the lead committee for draft legislation in these policy areas submitted to the Bundesrat by the aforementioned ministries, and for draft legislation from the corresponding federal state ministries.
The committee also participates in discussions when legislation examined primarily by one of the other 15 committees has an impact on the policy areas listed above.