The committee focuses in particular on the following policy areas:
- Building regulations / technical building regulations
- Construction project planning legislation
- Construction products legislation
- Land reallocation legislation
- Building lease and home ownership legislation
- Rental legislation
- Public procurement
- Rational energy use
- Legislation on construction-related professions
- Regional planning legislation
- Housing legislation
- Promoting urban development
- Urban development legislation
- Housing benefit legislation
- Promoting housing construction
The Committee on Urban Development, Housing and Regional Planning is the lead committee for deliberations on Federal Government bills on these policy areas submitted to the Bundesrat under the aegis of the Federal Ministry for Transport, Construction and Urban Development (BMVBS), and in discussions on draft legislation from the corresponding federal state ministries.
The committee also participates in discussions when legislation examined primarily by one of the other 15 committees has an impact on the policy areas listed above.
In addition to examining draft bills and ordinances, the Committee on Urban Development, Housing and Regional Planning also addresses a range of European Union proposals within the framework of EU policy competence for the topics listed above.